Courtesy of Opayinka Moyosore

This post is the first of a series I will be doing alongside some friends of mine. It is in memory of someone dear to us, Oyemade Veronica Oyelola (20).  She left this world for the world beyond last Friday, after a brief illness.  The post was meant to be published last Friday as a get well soon post for her. However, it was in the process of publishing the post that her demise was announced.


I pray that God grants the family and friends the fortitude to bear the loss.

***

THAT MOMENT…

By Oyebanji Ayodele

For one of the many I love, my 'two and three and two'. I wish you a speedy recovery. Rest in Peace.

That moment you get to know she's on the second drip; that she's to be transferred to the Teaching Hospital, you decide to stab the class. You ignore the drip of urine that streams down your penile hose as you appease the lecturer to allow you go irrigate the white cistern at the end of the block of classrooms. He agrees.

Liar!

You scream at bikes and they think you are mad. That you'll bite their helmets and heads off their necks. They flee. You get one eventually and you slap him on the back.

‘More speed!’

You get to the hospital to see her being lifted into an ambulance. You hand the biker his pay. He makes to give you your change but you are gone.

You sit by her in the ambulance, holding her hands and murmuring excerpts of Psalms. They don’t come out in full at such times. No matter how short.

That moment the ambulance arrives at the Emergency Unit of the Teaching Hospital, you observe her breath. She pants ceaselessly and you jump out of the bus. You scream at the snailing nurses. You don't care being regarded as mad. You find her a wheelchair and trundle her till you get a vacant bed.  

A third drip is fixed. Tension builds in your body. You gift the air a hushed fart.

That moment the latest okada accident victim murders the silence in the ward with his shrill of mo daran o, she opens her eyes and asks if she is close to hell. You want to express some faith. You tell her the hospital is nearer to heaven. The air conditioner murmurs its attestation. She believes and shuts her eyes.

That moment you decide to ask how she feels and all you get is a mouth open like the gaping cover of a coffin and tiny globules of tears swimming down her pale face, you think about death. Death! And the black bowlers of undertakers. You dip your tongue in King James’ incantations:

‘Thou shalt not die but live…’

You never believed in them, but everything should be done to keep heaven and hell far from her. You want her back. You want to kiss her on the forehead.

That moment you slip your hand into her palm with your thumb massaging the back like an alfa does to his prayer beads, you see her breath regulate itself. Then, you remember how helpful a rub could be. You curse the doctors and their insensitivity. You serve her your palm.

Your palms mate; hers on top. At that moment, you both doze off. Your hand in hers. Your chair, by her bed.

You move into a new world. That of reminiscences.

They creep into your view. The handshakes. And hugs. Fights.  And make-ups. The video seems 3gp-ish, you think.

Snap! A cleaner slips and falls.

You wake. She shudders.

‘I don't want to sleep again,’ she says.

You know it. That she fears death. You do too.

Your eyes catch a stretcher being pushed out of the ward. On it is a pregnant woman. She’s completely covered with a white spread. You turn dumb. Your eyes baptize your face.

Lailai, you can never die,’ you find your voice, clicking two fingers around your head.

You press your lips to the back of her palm. 

***

This series continues tomorrow. Your condolences are valued. Please drop them in the comment box with your name.


11 comments:

I only met Vero once and I am happy I knew her but sad she left so quickly as she did.

Don't know what alphabets form the word condolence now... sincerely, still dumb-struck. A.Y, Is that beautiful gentle LASS gone?

John Law

A dame of honour...
A pricless pearl
The world has been robbed once more of a saint
Ur pulsating memory nest the very depth or my heart and sends chills all over my body
Even my soul jolted out in shock of the unBelievable news I heard
No more will I ever be greeted with that warm smile
No more will I see the coyness expressed when I adore your name
Veronica...the victory bringer
Veronica...honest image...
Veronica... the cloth impressed with the image of Christ...
If I name the whole world Veronica, would that be enough?
Nay...
Why Azrael? Why?
Azrael, you came with your wings of death and transcended a victor to the heavens...
Azrael, when thouest come for me, remember I chose to smile cause I know those waiting for us will be rewared wit pleasure for the souls they so miss and I will laugh with joy as I am greeted with warm impressed smiles I so cherish in my hrt...
Haastrup misses U

That moment when I expected all said to be a mere rumour. Indeed! Even if the birds would not sing I know she was a good somebody.

A dame of honour...
A pricless pearl
The world has been robbed once more of a saint
Ur pulsating memory nest the very depth or my heart and sends chills all over my body
Even my soul jolted out in shock of the unBelievable news I heard
No more will I ever be greeted with that warm smile
No more will I see the coyness expressed when I adore your name
Veronica...the victory bringer
Veronica...honest image...
Veronica... the cloth impressed with the image of Christ...
If I name the whole world Veronica, would that be enough?
Nay...
Why Azrael? Why?
Azrael, you came with your wings of death and transcended a victor to the heavens...
Azrael, when thousest come for me, remember I chose to smile cause I know those waiting for us will be rewared wit pleasure for the souls they so miss and I will laugh with joy as I am greeted with warm impressed smiles I so cherish in my hrt...

Tola Adegbite said... 23 April 2013 at 23:28  

When I heard the new,
I lost my tears in shock
when I remember your smile
I hide my tears in fear
I didn't want to mourn you in the morning
I thought you will rise with the sun
Like the Son of God did for us
Veronica
Rest in Peace

I am sorry for you loss and for those of all who knew her.

Please take heart.

Thanks pals.

take heart!!! Never knew her but you paint a vivid picture of what she was!!!may her heart rest in perfect peace.

The beautiful ones don't stay forever, they go and leave us with sweet memories and most times keep a "bed-space" in our heart as their abode

May her soul rest in peace.

www.greenbiro.com

Post a Comment

About this blog

Of literature 'n' living. Me too. *winks*

Popular Posts

Follow me on Twitter

See What I'm Reading

See What I'm Reading

Featured Post

Between Death and 'I'

For Mummy EOO I His grandfather. It dawned on him that he wouldn’t want to be like the old man, as rich as he was. The name ...

Oyebanji Ayodele. Powered by Blogger.