Vero’, today’s Friday and it’s been ringing in my head since the break of dawn that it’s now a week that I lost you. I still can’t get the pictures of the moments we shared together from my mind. I CAN’T.  And I WON’T.

Miss you.

Saying Goodbye to Vero’ ends with Adeola Opeyemi’s piece. Read and drop your comments. Lit'n' Life appreciates you. 

***


FAREWELL DEAR SISTER
(For Oyemade Oyelola Veronica) 

By Adeola Opeyemi


“Do not stand at my grave and weep

I’m not there, I do not sleep

I am the thousand winds that blow

I am the diamond glow of snow

I am the sunlight on ripened green

I am the gentle autumn stream

Do not stand at my grave and cry

I am not there, I did not die.”


These lines rang in my head as I watched you lay there, an angel in blue and a white shroud. Did they know, did they guess, that your last outfit was the colour of a beautiful morning sky?

Words have failed to describe your passing on, but I refused to try as well. Lest I glorify death for crushing a flower so delicate, for felling young trees while dry ones stand. 
You did not die, I know of death. I know the way it zaps breath off a being. I know the way it robs a flower off its beauty. I imagined you played chess with death, and you emerged the winner. You were done with this life, with the incomprehensible pains born with man. You were ready to go and you left. You did not die, you went asleep; an eternal sleep as calm as you.

Do forgive us when you see us cry. We cry not because you are finally resting. We cry for our selfish reasons. We cry for the time we’d seek you amidst various heads and see you not. We cry for the days we’d call you and hear you not. We cry because while you sleep, we would be lonely. 

We cry for the day we would make such journey and others would cry for us.

As I stood by your grave, my heart wished for a shroud of words with which to cover you. I wished for rhythms to see you off. I wished I could sing with my croaky voice; a heavenly hymn befitting an angel. I wished for so many things but my mouth was glued. If I sing, I would cry; if I recite poems, they would lack poetic beauty. Your death has left my inside with a silence so loud, I couldn’t hear myself if I speak. I know this, because I tried. I tried to say some few words, but I couldn’t hear myself speak.

So hear this, dear sister, they are words I whisper at night, they are lines I hope the winds would carry to you.

 A tornado has passed this way

A flood has swept this street

An unripe fruit has fallen from this tree

The candle in the wind has lost a battle

This Fenix has lost a feather

And the calmness that comes after disasters

Has come to settle on this debris


Farewell dear sister,

And we would seek you, Vero

Futilely, in these pieces that was once whole.

Goodnight dear sister. I would not say goodbye, goodbyes are for forever and you, Oyelola has only gone to sleep. So goodnight dear one. Goodnight dear sister.

2 comments:

It doesn't matter what we do, we just have to do it for this flowery gem. Though, it won't be enough but we must try. It boils down to the same intention - not letting her die.

You all have done your parts... Don't let it end here. Continue in your hearts and visions; she deserves (now) no less.

I want to thank the initiator of the series for his creativity.

Let us be sincere with the dead.

Please, you may paste these works on ANA board (probably with the comments). No matter how long they are; giving her a column in a week is not too much.

Thank you A.Y and you all.

Yours in Pen,

JOHN LAW

@ John Law. You are welcome. And thanks too for your consistency throughout the series.

Post a Comment

About this blog

Of literature 'n' living. Me too. *winks*

Popular Posts

Follow me on Twitter

See What I'm Reading

See What I'm Reading

Featured Post

Between Death and 'I'

For Mummy EOO I His grandfather. It dawned on him that he wouldn’t want to be like the old man, as rich as he was. The name ...

Oyebanji Ayodele. Powered by Blogger.