The Saying Goodbye to Vero’ Series continues today with more poets airing their muses’ words. 

‘…Only Poets are in the best position to understand and interpret the shady blurred reality of death…’
…Odeyemi John Law

Read and comment.


***

Two Poems


ETERNAL NIGHT

A POSTHUMOUS WREATH FOR A SISTER COLLEAGUE


ALELE TI LE, OJUMO O MO MO

ILE SUU KIRIKIRI---- WHERE IS THE ELEGANT MORNING?

Dawn has been assassinated; eternal night triumphs.

            I prepared soft and classical eba

Awaiting the herbal leaf of efo

Rather. My ear is fed with lullabies of bedtime

Eemo re o*** abomination* when did eba become mortal?

                        Chieftaincy is a corollary of royalty

A matriarch with peacock’s head and antelope’s feet

   Has been p l u c k ed by impetuous death; impish and peevish

Oyemade

From friendship, you’ve ellipted ship- detaining friend

 To aid your procession with the convoy of pioneers of a(fter)lives

 You have taken a pause and punctuated corporeal life

Just that we miss the vacuum you fill; the enduring requests.

I won’t make iku proud by shedding my eyes

Won’t grotesque my countenance with gloomy cosmetics

In the womb of my heart; the soil of my lead you shall gain life

OYELOLA, yeyeola, yeye- oye-laaa
***                   ***                  ***
VERONICA was abducted into death’s lair but engendered life.

Babajide Michael Literati


***

LAMENT FROM THE GRAVE

I deserve a funeral rite

Despite the plodding angst in the abyss of your mind

A six-feet at least

Even if I heaped sorrow on your heart


I was once the harbinger of your joy

The vortex that enlivened the happiness in your home

When I sprouted

You were all glad

I know


But why was I shrouded like a minion?

Lowered by mere acquaintances?


Blame not my destiny

For ramming into me half way

For bringing an end to my story

Take heart and be sad no more


Recompense looms

For I will return

Think not of me

But you

Maybe we shall meet.

Matthew Bisi Adewuyi


1 comments:

The first, a folkloric dirge, still bemoaning the enshrouded moon half-way to the bang of the dawn.

Love the second better; it is a move away from the trend of throbbing hearts feigning angst, pity and mourning.

It is a sad tone from the grave. Only this captures my opinion. Enough of these outcries; she's not at the war front again. The battle is ours to fight; she had fought hers and victorious homeward she lays. Resplendent embroidered crown adorn her head - the crown no earthly king can lay hold on.

Ohh, this bears her voice... Saddening, toneless, and full of anguish that we only bemoan her present state because she's now "shrouded like a minion', thus we tend to lower her into the ignominious deep by "mere acquaintances".

Thanks be the supreme being that we now realize that it is not enough to make a river of our watery eyes. She has spoken from the runny edge of the second poet. More affirmation that Poets have the wherewithal to see beyond their noses, peep into the hidden terraces of death and pitch the gloomy tent of drooping feelings.

Thank you Matthew! You've helped her relay her thought.

JOHN LAW

Post a Comment

About this blog

Of literature 'n' living. Me too. *winks*

Popular Posts

Follow me on Twitter

See What I'm Reading

See What I'm Reading

Featured Post

Between Death and 'I'

For Mummy EOO I His grandfather. It dawned on him that he wouldn’t want to be like the old man, as rich as he was. The name ...

Oyebanji Ayodele. Powered by Blogger.